Re: [OM] IMG: Mister Nut in Fall

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mister Nut in Fall
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 19:16:03 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Wonderful images of Mr. Nut who is a very photogenic red squirrel.   I believe
red squirrels are noted to develop ear tufts in the Fall unlike our plainer
cousins here, AFAIK.

Males of east Indian  origin sometimes have abundant similar hair  (in my view)
on the pinna of the ears.

https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Hairy_Ears.jpg

This was long thought to be linked to the Y chromosome.  In guppies many Y
linked traits make them more attractive to mates.  I'll have to defer to any
female listees on the matter.

The presumptive linkage was based upon pedigree analysis and observation.
Sadly,  in 2004 a detailed  sequencing analysis debunked the original paper,

 Lee, Andrew (2004). "Molecular evidence for absence of Y-linkage of the Hairy
Ears trait". European Journal of Human Genetics. 112: 1077–1079.

At least my cat Othello has great ear hair, Mike