[OM] OT: Earthlink Dialup Internet

Subject: [OM] OT: Earthlink Dialup Internet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:07:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     This is pretty sad.  As of this morning, I have no Earthlink internet
dialup access.  If you get a connection to a modem, you cannot get to the login
server.  I reported it to their tech support, but the people in India had no
idea what I was talking about.  I made a second call three hours later and
demanded that I be connected to an American supervisor.  That worked, but I
just got more denials.  The problem was referred to a technical person who was
supposed to call me back.  Three hours later there has been no return call, and
ther is still no connectivity.

    So, I had earlier copied the dialup numbers for Copper.net and decided to
try them to see if I could at least get a modem connection.  To my total
surprise, they acknowledged my Earthlink user name and password, so I am
presently using Copper.net for free.  I wonder how long this will last.

    About two decades ago I used Primenet, which later became Global Crossing.
Their internet service crashed and I went elsewhere.  But, I found that I could
still get into Primenet by telnetting into their server, so I still had access
to my Primenet email until Global Crossing pulled the plug on their entire
system.

     And the internet speed (NOT the dialup speed) is noticably better with
Copper.net.

     None of this is really happening, right?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson