[OM] Nathan's PAD 7/9/2018: a walk through history in Kraków

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 7/9/2018: a walk through history in Kraków
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 20:54:00 +0200
I am now back in Alicante after my business trip to Kraków. Yesterday afternoon
I had about 3 hours to myself, which I used to walk several km through the
Jewish neighbourhood Kazimierz, and ending up at Oskar Schindler’s factory. But
rather than visiting the factory (which was crammed with tourists), I spent an
hour or so taking in the marvellous modern art museum right next to it. Five
images from the walk.

This is the Tempel synagogue, built in the 19th century. During the war it was
used by the Germans as a horse stable but was otherwise not destroyed. Today,
it is one of Kraków’s two active synagogues:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-QXdRFVp/A

Schindler’s factory. You get the idea of its status as a major tourist
attraction:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-9DR34Pw/A

The memorial plaque on the wall of the factory:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XNjVWmC/A

Kraków’s Museum of Contemporary Art, right next to the Schindler factory:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-pbTKRcn/A

There was a major exhibition about nationalism; mainly Polish nationalism, but
also German, American and a couple of others. The point of view is decidedly
critical, as seen in this Polish painting:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-TnC7kVw/A

Much more to come. I can warmly recommend visiting Kraków. There is a reason
why it is, along with Prague, the most visited city in Eastern Europe.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain