Re: [OM] OT: To Ken? Fly and shoot exprience

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: To Ken? Fly and shoot exprience
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 11:08:38 -0800
> The most important thing is to sit upright well belted in and do not brace
> yourself against the window frame, interior wall, etc. If shooting through
> plexiglas, dont put the lens against the glazing.The kind of plane used will
> be small and will likely vibrate a lot, but OTOH not as much as a helicopter.
> Don't know about current models, but Cessna 172's from the 60's, 70's and
> 80's (sounds like a really bad radio station) had a metal bar that stopped
> the windows from opening completely. This attaches to the window frame at one
> end with a single screw. It can be easily removed, which allows the window to
> float in the slipstream, remaining completely open without support.

One of my friends co-owns a mid-seventies 172 that is, by far, the
smoothest 172 I've ever ridden in. It almost purred. The only Cessna
I've ever flown in that was smoother was a friend of my dad's 177 that
literally had no discernible vibration at all. If I recall correctly,
it was STC'd with a three-bladed Q-Tip prop.

> And as always, gear is much less important than the operator.

Imagine how my pictures would look if I actually had a clue of what I was doing!

AG