Re: [OM] TTARTISAN 100mm f/2.8 Bubble Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] TTARTISAN 100mm f/2.8 Bubble Bokeh
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 11:09:50 -0800
On 11/5/2023 7:36 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 11/4/2023 09:47 PM, Moose wrote:
Forgot about this for weeks of travel.

You did get one? How is it?

Back Home Moose
Not sure if you just meant this for Mike only,

I was thinking of Mike, as I wasn't aware of any others with this lens. My recollection that he had one and got the adapter just before we left was correct.

but here are some of my first 25 photos I took with this lens. wide open.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wxARKiMnjoowp63E7

No classic, stand alone, bubbles evident, so far. I think bubbles require close subject and distant background with specular highlights. I do like the bokeh of #3, like brush strokes, and esp #5, which could definitely have been painted by Van Gogh. 🙂

I'm used to working with 50mm bocake lenses, so 100mm will take some more
learning.

All the classic bubblers are longer focal lengths. The Steinheil Culminar 135/4.5, in particular, bubbles, and my other 135 mm lenses all do it to some extent. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/135mmLensBokeh/135mmlensesBokeh.htm>

I use a helicoid adapter to allow closer focus.

I'm lucky with the Culminars, as my first one is short mount with bellows.

The lens indeed does not have aperture marks on top with standard m42 adapters.

There must have been a standard, back when. My ancient M42 mount lenses on
adapters end up right side up.

I have one, just an m42-m42 helicoid with thin Sony m42 adapter that just happens to put
them on top, but infinity focus has to be extended just a bit. Also a Yeenon called
"M42-M42X17.3mm Helicoid tube + M42-NEX Mount (Flange)( ring free)"

With all other adapters the markings are near the bottom. Since I like helicoid
adapters,

As do I, esp. on old teles with long minimum FLs. I have them on a Sankor
135/2.8 and Alpex 200/3.5.

I have not found one that is adjustable. I don't understand why ttartisan
couldn't get this right.

Unaware of the old, unpublished standard? Then confused by differences between adapters? Should have set it to land right on an old film camera with native M42.

I thought I could rotate the mount on the lens, but it is hard linked to the
aperture control.

The one I thought would be adjustable was called "M42-NEX helicoid adapter (with
pressure thimble device has set midline positio)" from Yeenon. But I'm not sure it
is adjustable. I removed the screws on the side and it did not appear to be moveable due
to linkages inside. I did not pursue further.https://www.ebay.com/itm/404249100007

No instructions? Chinese only, sans pix?

Modest Bubbles Moose