Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Throttled speed on ethernet extender
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:37:19 -0900
While I work for a telecom not named Verizon, I'll gladly state that when
it comes to this specific area of technology (consumer broadband) I'm
sometimes just as questioning as you. The key, though, is to segment your
layers of technology. The device that connects to the outside coax is a
cable modem that is rate limited to your purchase speed. If you directly
connect a computer to the LAN port of this box, you should be able to speed
test to the maximum allowable speed.

However, when this device is a combo Cable Modem and WiFi adaptor, all bets
are off. I would normally suggest putting your own Lunksis or Nutbeer to it
and do all our Wifi around the house on that. Not only are the speeds
better, but you get to firewall things and create separation between your
smart devices and your home computer. When you get really geeky, you can
have multiple hotspots that provide maximum signal strength and density to
flood out the neighbors' hotspots interfering with yours.

I've gotten really nerdy at the house and have around 50 items connected to
my network in one form or another.

Anyway, the latest generation of meshable hotspots from the primary two
brands is the way to go so you don't have to worry about range extenders.
Keep in mind that we have both 2.4GHz and 5.x GHz devices that have to be
accomodated. Most "smart devices" are stuck using the 2.4GHz band.

I only have 500 Mbps Internet at the house. I'd be tempted to upgrade to
the 2Gbps Internet, but I don't need to geek out THAT much yet. My WiFi
network could support those speeds to multiple devices, but I don't have
any compelling reason to. Internet speeds in this part of Alaska is
blistering fast.

Mandatory OM content: My E-M1 Mk2 works pretty well on my Wifi network.

AK Schnozz