Re: [OM] Successor to aging E-M5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Successor to aging E-M5?
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:53:40 -0600
When my E-M5 mk1 died near the end of our trip to Rome, I also was faced with what to do. Flat-fee repair would have been around $300 if it was fixable. I ended up getting an E-M5 mkIII instead. However, there are some annoying things. Apparently, the mkII was awesomer, to the point where Marketing decided it was too close to the E-M1 MkII and they told Design to delete some functionality and options in the MkIII.

You could use the MkII with Capture and with the Webcam Beta software. Those functions are no longer supported in the MkIII. They are, of course, still functional in all versions of the E-M1.

You can also no longer get the battery grip that you could get for the MkI. I know - I tried. I was informed that they no longer offered as an option for the E-M5. If you wanted a battery grip, you had to pony up for the E-M1 mkIII.

However, it's still quite a nice camera.  I recently picked up an E-M1 mkI with low mileage to use as my main webcam and also as a second body, and now I'm diving into the rabbit hole of features trying to figure out what it can do and also the deeper features of the E-M5 mkIII.