Re: [OM] Successor to aging E-M5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Successor to aging E-M5?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:34:03 -0800
On 1/12/2024 7:10 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
I'm a little late for the "camera replacement time" thread of c. Dec. 30, so
I'm starting my own.

I'm still using the original OM-D E-M5.  I shoot it with fast Oly or Panasonic primes: 14/1.8, 20/1.7, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8. Plus a couple of film OM macro and telephoto lenses, and a 90/2 rangefinder lens. I don't photograph birds in flight. Despite a bit of shutter lag, it serves me well. But it is getting old.

I'm looking for some general advice on what to replace the E-M5 with when the time comes. Used gear in good shape would be fine. Are there any particular models I should concentrate on? Is there a good summary of the major differences online?  I'm trying to narrow things down a bit before diving into detailed reviews and user comments, which can be a rabbit hole.

One way to whittle it down may be ergonomics. I was on the OM train for a while, E-M5 and E-M5 II. I switched to the Panny GX9, for reasons partially lost in the sands of time. I had 3½ very enjoyable years with them, with many, many great photos. They are about the size and weight of the E-M5, but with RF shape/layout, which I liked very much.

Might feel natural to a Leica user, too. Also, IMO, one of the better looking of the cameras I've owned. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=_B008001croofm.jpg> *

I imagined a clean used one would be dirt cheap now, but I guess people like 'em, so quite reasonable, but not quite give away.

A few days ago, I posted about the OM outlet sale of refurbished E-M1 III bodies for $792 - helluva deal, but gone now. And that body is significantly larger and heavier than the E-M5x and OM-5 bodies.

I now have a pair of OM-1 bodies. I was weaned away, reluctantly, from the GX9s** by various computational features of the OM-1s. I do shoot birds in flight (and sitting). Pro Mode, Bird AF, 100-400 lens and 1.4x TC enters a previously unimagined realm. 🙂

My other camera is German rangefinder Brand L, which i use for people shots where the exact instant is paramount.

An interesting alternative is the Pro Capture Mode on the E-M1 III and OM-1. Press the button half way and it starts taking shots and putting them in a buffer, with older ones spilling off the end. Magic moment happens, finish pressing the button and catch the moment otherwise missed to human reaction speed and shutter lag. Lots of control over buffer length, burst speed, even over capturing frames after button full press.  Perhaps a bit techie over the top, but works darn well. One just needs to be willing to dump all the also rans in the bit bucket. 😛

Moose D'Opinion

* I've also had the Oly 45/1.8. The Panny is just that tiny bit better optically, which I'll never see, but has OIS, for use on my IBIS-less GM5, which does matter.

** Sold 2, kept one, seen above. Third camera when "really" serious, with 7-14
mm or 8mm fishy.