Re: [OM] What is Sharpness?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is Sharpness?
From: "L.J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:41:42 -0800
Just to throw a few more factors into this dicussion, focus and
depth of field play a part in what we perceive.  In interesting
bit of information comes from Minox land:

  http://www.minoxlab.com/dk051597/dkdof.htm

Then there is the relationships between ASA, DIN, and ISO:

  http://www.minoxlab.com/dk051597/dkexp.htm

Also, some discussion of formats:

  http://www.minoxlab.com/dk051597/dkneg.htm

The following takes a little time to download, but has some
good examples:

  http://www.minoxlab.com/PZ051897/peterd.htm

The reason I drag Minox in here is that Minoxers have been dealing
with the down and dirty business of sharpness, grain, and resolution
since the 9.5mm film with 8mm x 11mm frame showed up (which is just
a little bit bigger than the frame size for standard 16mm mopic).

There are some other sites floating around the web,besides those I
listed above, that get into some of the problems the Submini crowd
deals with day-to-day.  Carl Turner might also want to chime in here.

On a general note...In my photo-formative years I played with
HC-110 A & B, D-76, D-76 1:1, Microdol, Acufine, Diafine, Rodinal,
and about a half dozen other concoctions.  When all was said and
done, for most of my shooting (photojournalism) Tri-X with D-76 1:1
worked reliably, day in and day out (with a trip to Acufine now and
again for special purposes).  It yielded good quality negatives
that could yield quick and dirty prints for publication, and also
high quality exhibition prints.

Last night I finally got my new darkroom on line (the cat cannot
figure out what the heck is going on in there) and developed a roll
of T-Max 400 in T-Max (what a concept).  Sighting those medium
grey areas through the grain magnifier with the enlarger racked
all the way up, I was fairly impressed with what has happened to
film in the last few years.

I plan on working with liquid concentrates as much as possible,
since they have some advantages in a low volume darkroom.  Rodinal
for Agfapan 25 will probably be part of the program for slower
speed applications, but I need to buy some pipettes and more
accurate graduated cylinders to deal with 1:25 amd 1:50 ratios.

Thomas H. Hogan wrote:

> Lars, Marco, Shawn, et al,
>
> I think there is a lot of confusion on just what sharpness
> in photography really is.
>
> When I want a sharp photograph, I use TechPan 2415 with a dilute
> developer such as HC110 dilution F.  My understanding is that the
> dilute developer will contribute to a greater definition between
> grains which have received light and grains that have not due to
> local exhaustion of developer between agitations.
>
> Maybe some of the experts on this group could define sharpness or
> give some examples of sharpness in print photographs -- did you
> ever see the white line at the horizon in a landscape photo?
>
> Can Ilford XP2 and the new chromogenic Kodak film have sharpness
> without grain since all the grains are replaced with dye clouds??

Larry Clark
#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx