Re: [OM] Medium Format

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium Format
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 20:05:36 -0800
Denton Taylor wrote:

>I currently own and use a Mamiya 7, an RB67, a Mamiya C330, and a
>Rolleiflex. I have also owned an RZ67.[snip]
>
>There are other more convenient MF cameras. The Pentax 67 is like 35mm; the
>new Pentax 645n autofocus seems like a hell of a camera, and of course Fuji
>has a couple autofocus rangfinder cameras.

A propos Fuji's AF rangedinders: yesterday, I had a chance to play
with the new GA 645Zi Professional. It's a marvel of camera -- sports
a fully retractable 55-90mm zoom, has AF and built-in flash, Program,
Aperture AE, and Manual modes, motorized film advance, etc.

Moreover, it allows mid-roll rewind, can record both date/time and
exposure info. in the frame border, has full info. viewfinder with
nice digital and analog displays, built-in diopter correction -- all
in a very compact package (for MF). Takes 120 and 220 film, with
auto ID similar to DX.

There is also a bunch of useful accessories: aux. flash, power grip,
etc. All in all, a very impressive package, that could easily serve
as a medium format "second body" for a working photographer whose
primary system is 35mm, but who occasionally needs the larger negative.
IMHO, this new Fuji would be ideal for weddings. It'll fit easily
in a vest pocket (the whole thing weighs less than 2 lbs).

Since it's so new, B&H advertises the GA645Zi at $1899. A much better
buy right now is the GA645 Professional (with a fixed 60mm F4 lens),
which is being discontinued and replaced with a slightly updated GA645i
(and I mean: SLIGHTLY -- I saw both cameras side by side. Only the
645Zi model appears significantly different). B&H sells the GA645 for
a $999 special, and some stores here in LA quote the same price AND
throw in for free the auxilliary, more powerful GA flash.

I am very tempted, although dabbling in MF may not be the most prudent
step at the moment.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA