Re: [OM] 80mm macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 80mm macro
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:04:25 EDT
Hi BW:

As far as the Olympus OM Way book, this is right from the FAQ at:
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq

       _The Olympus OM Way_, L. Andrew Mannheim, Focal Press (London)
        Focal/Hastings House (New York), 1979, 450 pages.
        This is a great book with all sorts of trivia about the
        differences between different versions of the cameras and accessories.
        It also has much better descriptions than most of the Olympus
        manuals, especially for things like the Recordata Backs 1 and 2.
        Too bad it hasn't been kept up to date.  [In fact, if it had
        been, this FAQ would have little reason to exist!]  --RLH
        ISBN 0-8038-5390   (USA edition)
        ISBN 0-240-50985-4 (International edition)

        Thanks to waldron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Waldron)

I'd add that the tables in the Appendix are very valuable.  The book is
modeled a lot after The Leica Way, which I repeatedly read cover to cover when
I was learning the craft back in high school days.

As far as diffraction effects, try a series of test shots at various f/stops.
Then project the slides.  You will find a point at which the increased depth
of field is so masked by softness of the image that you know you have exceeded
YOUR trade-off point.  I know a lot will depend on how large an image you
view.  Folks evaluating 4x6" prints probably have a care in the world about
macro diffraction.  Hence the librarian's views in the URL to the FAQ we were
recently given here in this thread?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV