RE: [OM] Touch-up paint?

Subject: RE: [OM] Touch-up paint?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:14:40 -0800
>Brian E. Robinson wrote:
>>
>> I have a black OM-4T... is there touch-up paint available? My camera
>> strap has worn some paint off the frame.

Trevor J. Noble notes:

>There is a product available from gun-shops which chemically blackens brass.
>It is called "Brass Black" manufactured in the USA by Birchwood Casey, Eden
>Prairie, Minnesota 55344 - in a 3 fl.oz PVC bottle.

Curt Fargo in his Camera Repair Tools and Supplies catalog has an
entire page page (p.43) dedicated to touch up products. Most are
indeed from the above manufacturer -- Birchwood-Casey, and sell for
$5-7 a bottle.

These catalogs are often available free of charge at the camera
shows that Mr. Fargo attends.  However, if you call and request
a copy, they'll charge you $10 plus shipping.  Luckily, most of
the catalog is available online at:  http://www.fargo-ent.com/
and http:/www.micro-tools.com/

The bad news for Brian and other OM-3/4 T/Ti owners is that ANY
paint on titanium is, at best, temporary. This metal is not only
highly resistant to impact, it also hates to be covered by paint.
IMHO, it is advisable to develop an affection for the weathered,
well-worn look -- fast!

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA