Re: [OM] Wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted
From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:02:17 +0100
Richard - my experience in buying from the US is that if you buy from a
commercial organization such as B&H you will almost certainly be stopped
for VAT and import duty (usually about 22 0n total) as they will recognise
the packaging. I think that B&H also insist on using a courier which makes
postage rather expensive.

On the other hand if you buy used privately my experience is that probably
on 9/10 occasions the items will sail straight through without being
stopped, even though the customs label is accurate. You can also use US
Post Office air mail which is much cheaper though a little slower.

A couple of other thoughts - the last time I bought new Olympus from B&H I
bought with credit card and arranged for it to be posted to a friend of
mine in the US (unfortunately they have just moved back to England :( ). He
wrapped the parcel again (didn't even bother to open it) and sent it on to
me with the result that I got it within a week for cheaper postage and no
import duty or VAT. Secondly there is a company in Germany who advertise
the OM3Ti / OM4Ti cheaper than B&H and may be able to get other items - I
can't find their e-mail address at the moment but if one of our German
members could oblige it would be well worth contacting them as this would
avoid any import duty.

Finally don't forget to look out for used - I bought mine that way. One
problem you will have with the T Power Control is that it would probably be
sold used with a flash, but that could be just the excuse you need to get a
T10 or T8 ring flash! In the UK you would probably expect to pay about
£100-120 for each.

Hope this helps, David