Re: [OM] Spot Meter reading vs OTF; Ease of 4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot Meter reading vs OTF; Ease of 4T
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:48:32 +0000
Joel, Yes I suspect that you achieve the same exposure accuracy using the
methods you describe, when it comes down to it if you can pick the exactly
correct exposure by whatever means, it doesn't really matter how. With the
OM4Ti, it is probably easier to 'spot' the correct exposure yet the process
is by no means automatic, in spot mode the camera does not decide anything.
It does have a built in automatic compensation using the highlight and
shadow buttons, obviously using centre weighted it decides the exposure
completely.

You can assess all the zones in a picture, then decide to go for 18 0rey
(if there is one), or half way between the brightest and darkest areas
(which is probably near 18 0rey), or emphasise a particular area.

Spot metering can however go wrong there is still a great deal of
photographic skill required when assessing the scene for exposure. Its not
really a point and shoot system like Nikon's? matrix for example where I
believe the camera decides the exposure value without any input from the
photographer. I think the only other camera with MS metering is one of the
very expensive Rollei medium format models.

I would recommend that you borrow an OM4 to see what you think, maybe you
don't need spot metering, I thought it was unnecessary to begin with but
now I use it all the time.

See other posting, the 90f2 macro is marvellous.

Regards
Richard

 (Embedded
 image moved   Joel Wilcox <jowilcox @ blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>