Re: [OM] good deal?

Subject: Re: [OM] good deal?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:54:48 -0600
At 11:11 AM 8/3/98 -0400, EdMall@xxxxxxx wrote:

><< >
> > Those are Canadian Dollars, no?  Even so, $995CAN for a OM-4 - Yikes!
>
> Yes, they're CDN $... When I asked how much a new OM-4T was,
> I was told ~$1800 by two different stores, so this may explain it... >>
>

>Ouch!  Doesn't B&H list the OM4Ti brand new for $995 (U.S.)?  Or check with
>KEH in Atlanta.

True, but that's still approximately $1500.00 CDN.  If you want to buy through
regular Canadian channels up here, all Oly requests go through W.A. Carsen in
Toronto, who've had "unique" pricing for as long as I can remember on Oly stuff.

>A used OM4T should be around $450-650 (U.S.) depending on condition.
>Mail order is for people who already know what they're looking for and are
>ready to buy at the right price.  Why not pick up a Shutterbug or Pop Photo
>mag and peruse the ads?  Or do Canadians run into huge import taxes?

Ever since the FTA and then NAFTA, Canadians don't have *any* import taxes on
camera equipment, but we still have to pay a "handling fee" and GST of 70n
imported goods' $CDN value.  On $1500.00, that'd be $105.00 CDN plus the
"handling fee" of $5.00.  Total cost: approximately $1,610.00 CDN for a new
OM-4Ti body.  An OM-3Ti body would be even higher, of course.

Free trade, my ass.

Garth