Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: fuel prices
From: Bob Christopher <bc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 16:48:23 -0600
Thought you might be interested in just how much GM,
Ford and Chrysler make on SUV's. During the recent GM
strike it was leaked that the vast majority of the
nearly $2billion loss to GM was in truck sales. Chrysler
let the cat out of the bag when it confirmed that the
company makes over $6,000 on every Dodge Durango it sells
to its dealers. Ford makes nearly $5,000 on every Expedition
and GM is said to make close to $7,500 on every Suburban,
Tahoe and Yukon it sells to its dealers.

GM also confirmed that it loses money on every fuel efficient
small car it makes, barely breaks even on the mid-size lines
and makes almost all its money on full sized luxo-cars and
its truck/SUV lines. Even taking into account that GM is
the least efficient of the big three auto makers, the other
two have confirmed that most if not all their money is made
the same way.

I've driven the big road warriors for most of my life
(30+ years of Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Suburbans and now a
Yukon). When I have to rent a Camry or some such runabout
for business out of town I just dread it.

[Photography content]. Ken, actually when I was doing
technical/industrial photography for the oil & gas
industry in the late 70's I used a Suburban to carry
all my medium format stuff. I think the large format
guys would have to go with a Hummer nowadays. Yeah,
definitely a Hummer.

\Bob

At 03:07 PM 8/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>George wrote:
>
>>Easy to justify at that price.  Out here in N. California, we're being
>>gouged to the tune of $1.60 or so. BTW, Ken, have you heard of the new
>>"environmentalist" efforts to put a surtax on "large" SUVs to discourage
>>those of us who prefer to drive them?
>

>Have you seen the price on them lately?  I'd say that GM and Ford are doing
>a fine job of premium pricing these things anyway.  With increased insurance
>costs (because those nutty environmentalists are getting killed in their '63
>Beatles), high fuel consumption, high purchase price, and of course more
>quarters at the car wash we are paying our fair share for the priviledge of
>driving a Queen Mary on Wheels.  And then to further add insult, we can't
>even park them in parking garages!
>
>>OM content- The SUV (first a Cherokee, now a Tahoe) is the only way to
>>go for me when photographing.  Room enuf for all the OM gear, plus
>>camping/backpacking gear, plus can go where ordinary cars can't.  And,
>>NO, I don't use mine as a nature-destroying-machine.
>

>As a current owner of both a Jeep Cherokee (sport) and Suburban I have to
>agree.  The Jeep is perfect for OM content, but the Suburban (or Tahoe) is
>required as soon as you talk medium or large format cameras.
>
>And, yes, I seek out muddy roads every chance I get!  It's the mountain
>biker in me!  Terrain is meant to be thrashed!    (come on, lighten up--I'm
>just kidding...)
>
>Ken N.

Regards,
 Bob Christopher