Re: [OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:11:19 EDT
Hi Patrick:

This would be well worth your while as a search of the OM List Archives at:
http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/archives/

I just did a shootout of the 35-70 f/3.5~4.5 in near close focus and it was
significantly inferior to the 50 mm f/1.8 and 1.4 in resolution, but had
higher contrast.  I've not yet reported on how it compares to the 35 mm f/2.8
Looking at some near close focus (about 1:29 reproduction ratio) comparisons,
I'd say the 35 mm prime is significant better in resolution at the center and
edges, while the zoom nearly equals it in contrast.  However the zoom has more
fall-off in brightness and has signinificant barrel distrortion at 35 mm.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV