Re: [OM] Digital storage (was Digital vs. film)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital storage (was Digital vs. film)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:19:38 +0800
I fully understand your concern, I was working in computer field for more
than 10 years. Although I didn't have the chance to use punched cards, but
I have been paying with computer since the Apple II ages. Although I cannot
get back the data from my Apple II diskettes, but the only reason is
because I don't need them.

I am still using Ashton-Tate dBase III plus (86' version). They are copied
from my old 5.25" diskette to the 3.5" diskette and now backup on the MO.
If I think I still need it, I will continue to backup it to next generation
of disk media... until one day, the hardware didn't support it. The data? I
am not worry about that they can translate into newer programs like Excel,
Access .... then I will be forced to learn the new programming language (I
am a bit lazy to learn now, I can do any data processing with the dBase III
only with the drawback of poor printing layout and display window as
compared with the Windows programs).

You cannot read the puched cards was because you didn't need the data, if
you need them you should backup them to other medias before the phase out
the your card reader.

Back to the image files, I don't think I will lost any of them if I think
they are important. They can be copy to newer medias with further lower
storage cost, translate to newer formats... and I am well prepared for the
next generation. The DVD-ROM? they are compatible with the current CDs.

C.H.Ling