Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:03:01 -0700
On 16 Sep 98, at 22:59, Morgan Sparks wrote:

> Hamrick Software does have a program, "VueSmart" that adresses the
> Windows NT issue, along with some other shortcomings in HP's software,
> at:
> http://www.hamrick.com/
I've used their VuePrint for years - it is a great little tool!

> The last time I checked this was still a DOS interface, but that may
> well have changed by now.  HP markets this scanner as part of the
> "Photosmart" system, a consumer-oriented package. . . I read in another
> forum that the scanner has drawn a more sophisticated audience that has
> been compaining loudly about the clunky software.  For instance the
> machine is capable of 30-bit per pixel resolution, but the supplied
> software will only read at 24.  (VueSmart will give 30 bit)
Maybe enough feedback to HP will get some results... If they can
do it (NT support) for the 5100C, why not the Photosmart?

> I've had one for about a month, under Win95. The results with slides are
> quite good, but I seem to get lower resolution scanning color neg.  For
> $299. after rebate it's alone in its price class.
True, the price is right, but as we are seeing, consumers are
getting smarter...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright