Re: [OM] mouths and money

Subject: Re: [OM] mouths and money
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:50:34 -0700
Richard Schaetzl wrote:
>If you are willing to carry a camera three times as heavy and more than
>double the price you better head for an MF system.

Richard,

You bring up an interesting point here. By the above I presume you are
saying that wonderbricks are more heavy than OMs. Comparing body to body,
this might be true. But, I think there is one important point to consider.
The wonderbricks have built in motors. When you add the weight of a winder
or especially a motor drive to an OM, it is just as heavy and possibly more
heavy than a wonder brick. I wonder how many people on the list that own
winders or motor drives use their cameras without them. It seems I always
have a motor or winder hooked up to my OM. So in the real world for me, the
OMs do not have a weight advantage.

As far as size, adding a winder or motor to an OM also wipes out most of the
size advantage over wonderbricks. The OM with motor or winder becomes about
as big as a wonderbrick. As far as the price goes, Olympus gear is just as
expensive as wonderbrick gear, both used and new. In some cases the Oly gear
is more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love my Olympus. I'm just trying to
keep some perspective on this.

Regards,
John Austin