Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on recommending against the OM2000
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:21:17 EST
In a message dated 12/16/98 4:26:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< So of all people, should we be recommending the OM2000 when a
 newbie asks the question or should we recommend AGAINST the OM2000
 and suggest a used OM-1 instead?  Should we act as "evangelists"
 for the OM system in general and make sure that Olympus is
 successful with their SLR products and continue to develop new
 products for it >>

If we are "evangelists" then we also need to make sure the advice we give is
appropriate. I think the OM-2000 is a great camera for a beginner learning
general photography. In the most recent thread on the newsgroup the person was
looking for a camera to do astrophotography. In this situation the OM-1 is
much better suited and will give better results. I was one of the people who
recommended they go with an OM-1 (including a CLA). In the past I have also
recommended the OM-2000, to different people with different interests. If this
person went out and bought an OM-2000 for astrophotography, and it wasn't up
to the task, he might be turned off to the OM system entirely. On the other
hand, the OM-2000 is probably better for astrophotography than most of the
current "wonderbricks." Can you imagine hanging an F5 or EOS-1N off the end of
an 8" or 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain?

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI