Re: [OM] Zuiko Colour/Color rendering

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Colour/Color rendering
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:40:05 -0400
>Dear All,
>
>I have been pondering some comments about lenses giving "cool" or "warm"
>rendering of colour.  Does anyone have an idea of whether this is much of a
>problem ?  I would think that film selection would have a greater influence
>than lens choice.  I've always considered my Zuikos to be neutral, but I
>haven't used much else for transparencies over the last 20 years !
>
>...Wayne

Wayne,

you are probably right, as long as modern lenses are involved. There are
differences here too, like some people believing Canon lenses to be warm,
Nikon to be cool, etc., but major differences will come from the film
chosen.

The picture changes, however, if you include older lenses. Uncoated lenses
tend to be strongly bluish in rendition, single-coated lenses from the
50ies and 60ies vary (probably also due to deterioration of the cement
used, when elements are cemented together), but can be incredibly yellowish
or "golden" if want to be poetic. Pictures taken on the same film with a
mix of these lenses can look like pictures taken by different photographers
with differnet cameras at different times. I have slides taken a few weeks
ago to prove it.

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas/Venezuela