Re: [OM] List traffic

Subject: Re: [OM] List traffic
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:15:45 GMT
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:24:01 +0000, Richard Ross
<richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At 10:26 28/01/99 GMT, you wrote:
>>I am getting concerned about the large number of messages on this
>>mailing list, especially about those with no real Olympus content
>>other than pointing to auctions held elsewhere.
>
>Agreed.
>>
>>pointing each other to 'the cheap lens cover
>>in a local shop in Canberra' or 'the not too expensive T-20 at eBay'
>>is another thing.
>
>Agreed.
>>
>>Or maybe it is time (again) to ask the list members whether the list
>>should be split in an Olympus.photography and an Olympus.marketplace
>>part....?
>>
>>Frank van Lindert
>
>I'm in agreement with you Frank on the non-relevance of a lot of list
>traffic, especially re Ebay and the like which is of no interest to me
>personally. I get more messages in one day from this list than from all the
>others to which I subscribe in a week!  But there aren't really that many
>FS and WTB posts so I'm not sure spliting the list up in the way you
>describe would be useful.  Maybe splitting off Olympus.eBay might be more
>helpful...  Or even Olympus.use-of-English ;-)  Of course, the last time
>this matter was discussed it in itself led to greatly increased traffic .....
>
>Regards
>Richard

Thanks for changing the subject - I forgot about it.

I was just testing, Richard, just testing... ;-) not at all wanting
seriously to start the 'split' discussion again.

Sometimes I read the off-topic postings (especially the funny ones, or
the stories from life) with great pleasure, and respond to them
myself. I guess I would miss a lot of that pleasure when the list
would be split or if I were reading the digest - responding wouldn't
make sense any longer. Like we say, in Dutch, it would be like 'having
the mustard after the meal'.

But I realize that the daily number of messages is large - indeed
larger than with any other list I am reading. It will always be
difficult to set appropriate limits for what subjects have enough
Oly-content and which don't...

Frank.