Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?
From: cbevis@xxxxxxxxxx (Cam Bevis)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:22:55 -0600
First of all, let me apologize for sending the message twice to the group.
<insert sheepish grin>

Morgan Sparks wrote:

>If you are using color neg., try asking the lab for a darker print.

<g>   Actually, sort of what I'm doing with my HP Photosmart setup.  But
there always seems to be a difference between getting things right from the
neg, and "enhancing" them in PhotoShop or the lab.  Am I off base?

>Also, search for the "vampire(s)" thread from last year.  Olympus TTL...You
could also >place a slaved flash somewhere with its own thyristor set for
about 1 more stop than your >lens.

I'm not getting any hits on "vampire|vampires".  Maybe my QA310 on a little
slave is the only way to handle this, but I wanted to be less obtrusive.
Also, LOTS of people will have cameras/flashes, not an ideal environment for
an optical slave trigger.  I saw a little strap-on, elastic diffuser at the
store that looked the perfect size for my little T-20, would this help?

Hans van Veluwen wrote:

> (...)In any other circumstance you must compensate. You compensate TTL/OTF
flash
>with the normal compensation dial; about 1 to 1.5 stop minus correction for
>large dark places or backgrounds should do.

True, my only use of flash is in club type environments, with the common
dark wall paint, or outside at dark.  Maybe I shouldn't be asking such basic
questions, but you people actually know my equipment, which is a real asset.
Flash technology (or lack) differs greatly among manufacturers.

Now, use of the compensation dial is where list members seem to part,
according to the way I'm reading the list archives.  Can I really do this?
My flash still fires when I do this, but am I losing TTL or any functions,
or does this only apply in the case of fill flash where the compensation
would cause my shutter to go above 1/60th?

Guys, thanks SO much for your patience with this OM neophyte. I can't tell
you how much the list members and Shawn's efforts have enhanced the
enjoyment of my gear.

 Please pardon any gratuitous use of apostrophe's, "question marks", or the
word ebay; my Manual of Style is at the office.<g>

Cam Bevis
cbevis@xxxxxxxxxx