Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report

Subject: Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:43:59 +0200
>Holdability:  The F5 fit my hands perfectly.  The balance, size and
>gripability of the F5 matched my hands very well.  I suffer from carpel
>tunnel and the Nikons didn't stress the tendons in my wrist at all.  THe
>EOS's grip was slightly larger, but didn't fit right.  This was exactly the
>information I needed to determine what camera system to go with.  After
>about 2 minutes with the EOS-1n I was ready to set it down.  I just didn't
>want to hold it.  Your mileage may vary as everybody's hands are different.
> The EOS-3 I couldn't hold still and the F100 needed just a bit more mass.
>Hmm.  I don't think my wife is going to like this.  <g>

Have you ever hold a Pentax Z-1(p) ? If yes, how did you like it ?

>Lens mount:  The Canon lens mount is definetely better and wider.  The
>Nikon's is tiny in comparison to even the Olympus mount.  But it works.

The Nikon mount is older (1959), so it's no wonder that it's narrower.

>Ok, now for the suprise:
>
>The Tokina 20-35/2.8 lens is the most awesome wide angle lens I have ever
>used.  The sharpness and contrast are so high that I almost left my entire
>camera bag in exchange for an F100 and this lens.  If there is any one item
>that could tear me away from the Olympus, it's this lens.  Without a doubt,
>this lens is the sharpest wide angle I have seen and it is so good at the
>20mm setting without showing any apparant distortion at any setting.  There
>was absolutely no vignetting.  Did I mention the contrast?  Oh, what about
>the contrast?  Hey, did anybody say anything about contrast?  I also looked
>at Nikon's offering, but at twice the price it didn't have anywhere near
>the contrast.  This is a must have lens, no matter what.  Every other lens
>I looked through yesterday was a dog in comparison to this lens.
>
>So, yes, I liked the lens.

The Tokina 20-35/3,5-4,5 seems to be also a very good lens (lots of
positive comments on "the user lens evaluation" site) and it's relatively
"cheap". But the 17-35/2,8 by Canon is said to be excellent, too. BTW, how
can you compare lenses through the viewfinder ?

Matthias