Re: RE: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] Mono pods and ball heads
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 00:54:08 -0500
I might as well chime in...

My space-age material Velbron monopod has been absolutely essential
recently.  I've been doing a lot of sports photography (soccer, hockey)
from less-than-priveleged seats.  A typical late afternoon at the high
school soccer field has constantly failing light.  When shooting from
the stadium seats, the 500 f/8 is my lens of choice.  On the monopod,
I'm comfortable (and happy with the results) down to 1/125 (1/60 in a
pinch).  When the light makes that impossible, the 500 comes off and the
200 f/5 goes on.  And then the 135 f/2.8.  And then...well, then it's
just too dark.

When I can get on the sidelines, the 500 is usually too much lens, and
the 200 is closer to optimal.  The monopod still lets me use slower
shutter speeds than I would feel confident with.

In both cases, I prefer to select a location on the field and wait for
the action to come within frame.  The monopod provides just the right
balance of support and flexibility to follow the action over a small range

The stick itself is VERY light, and telescopes (3 sections) to a very
small package.  Handy for getting out of hostile soccer pitches and
hockey arenas, too!

In these situations, there is very little call for "up and down" camera
motion.  I can handle everything I've run into by simply selecting a
good height for the monopod and tilting it back and forth.

The final situation I've been in where the monopod has been a live saver
is shooting in and around a chess tournament (marginal light, no flash
allowed, lots of people milling around).  The difference in "footprint"
between a monopod and a tripod is a great help.

At a rough guess, I'd say that the monopod gives me 2-stops in shutter
speed, with a little (but not too much, for me) loss in camera
positioning.

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213