Re: [OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--system versus system???

Subject: Re: [OM] OM vs Leica vs Zeiss--system versus system???
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:34:08 +0200
ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:

> So the question is this, if you are limited to just a single camera body and
> 3 lenses,
> which system would you chose and why?

An OM-4Ti with 100mm/2.0 50mm/1.4 and 28mm/2.0

Despite that the R8 and RTSIII has 1/250sec flash sync speed and
spotmetering of flash emission, the multi spot metering of the OM-4Ti is
still the best metering system available.
For most of the time, I don´t use the flash, so an superior metering
system for the natural available light is crucial.
It´s not just that the camera has spot metering, it has to be useable ->
Ergonomics

The OM-4Ti is much smaller and has less weight than the big and bulky
R8, RTSIII. I´m able to use and carry this camera for an extended period
-> Ergonomics

100mm is long enough to produce images distinctive and more concentratet
from the 50mm lenses. The 100mm/2.0 produces excelent images has very
smooth mechanics and has a better handling than the 90mm Macro.
Unfortunatly it´s a rather big and bulky lens, especialy mounted on the
small OM´s.

The  50mm/1.4 is the only Olympus lens available of this speed. The
50mm/1.2 is just 1/3 stop faster at much higher costs and weight than
the 1.4.

The 28mm/2.0 is "wide" enough to produce pictures with noticeable more
"air" than an 50mm lens, but with an angle of view narrow enough to
avoid either perspective distorsions or empty space. The 28mm/2.8 is
much smaller and has less weight than the 2.0, but if you have to choose
out of just 3 lenses I would prefer the faster ones, especialy if you
don´t have to sacrify quality for speed, like in this case.

Of course the Combination of OM-4Ti plus 85mm/1.4 Zeiss, 35mm/1.4
(preferable M Leica) and 21mm/3.5 Zuiko (size weight) would be nice, but
not very practicable ;-)

Regards

Richard