[OM] (silly?) incident metering question

Subject: [OM] (silly?) incident metering question
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
Since reflected meters assume scene is 18 grey, they have to be
over-ridden in special cases (a la the 4s shadow and hilite button), yes?
What about incident? Are they immune to this kind of error?
Say, I'm in a valley, and there are black shadows under some overhangs and
sunlit rocks in the general scene. Reflected metering will try to render
it all 18%, so the lucky 4 user takes a spot off the shadow and hits
shadow on the body to u/expose by 2.x stops getting proper black shadows.
(or, the smart non-2S/3/4 users simply does it manually <G>).  What would
an incident say?
I hope this theoretical example makes sense and suits the question at
hand. My track record of late has been less than stellar.
OM content: I'm beginning to like the 50/1.8MC wide open for low light
candid portraits (such as when the adorable little sister is about to fall
asleep :-))

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
goosnargh