Re: [OM] 90f2 with 80f4 CU lens (was OM2000 vs OM3)

Subject: Re: [OM] 90f2 with 80f4 CU lens (was OM2000 vs OM3)
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 16:13:32 +0200
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:50:54 +1000, Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 08, 1999 5:31 PM, Frank van Lindert
>[SMTP:Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx] wrote:
>
>> I agree with Ross that the 80mm close-up adaptor will cause vignetting
>> with the 90mm - it just isn't suited for the job.
>>
>> Don't forget the Olympus made closeup lenses. They come in various
>> versions, one (simple lens) is in 55mm thread and has f=40cm (2.5 mag
>> power)
>> Better ones have been made for use with the IS series cameras.....
>
>Frank
>
>As far as I know, the two OM close up lenses f=40cm (49 & 55mm - same
>magnification) were both high quality 2 element designs, but were optimised
>for use with 50mm or 55mm prime lenses.

They are good quality, but AFAIK they consist of a single lens each. I
may be wrong here... You are right in that they are primarily intended
for use with 50mm and 55mm focal length standard lenses. Although
Olympus in their online OM lens document
ftp://ftp.olympus.com/files/OMlens.pdf
show a picture made with a close-up lens on a 100/2.8....

>  The Nikon 3T through to 6T series
>are the only 2 element CU lenses I am aware of designed specifically for
>the 80mm to 200mm focal lengths, although I believe some of the other
>camera manufacturers also make 2 element lenses.

The other lenses I mentioned (the IS ones) were intended for using
with the IS camera zoom lenses at (almost) maximum focal length, i.e.
for 100-135mm focal length. Those are really high quality lenses
consisting of two elements. I have used them on the IS-3, but also on
the 50, 100, 135 and 200mm OM-lenses with very good results when
traveling light. Unfortunately I never tried them on the 90, as far as
I can remember...

>I sometimes use my OM 49mm f=40cm CU with my 35-70/3.5-4.5 (at the 70mm
>setting), for convenience.  Subjectively it seems OK, but I have not done
>any comparisons with macro lenses etc.
>
>Cheers
>Ross Waite

Just try one of the IS-adapters if you have the chance! You will be
happy about the results, probably also with the 90mm macro.

Frank.