Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and

Subject: Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
fOn Tue, 21 Sep 1999, george wrote:

:Acer;
:
:With LOGIC like this, I do hope you're not studying engineering.  Or
:statistical analysis for that matter.

I'll leave this for the moment.

:>It's all in the false sense of safety the behemoth vehicles have (wrongly
:>so; they MAY fare better in a crash IF they are built to car safety
:>standards, which they are not as they are truck based and thus exempt),
:>but sedans/wagons etc are MORE nimble, and thus are actively able to AVOID
:>an accident instead of faring better IN one (IF the SUV had the same safe
:>build of sedans in terms of body type (unit, ladder, etc).
:
:So, you think poeple who drive SUVs do not go out of their way to avoid
:accidents?

No, I said no such thing. What I did say, however, is that drivers of
these vehicles often have a false sense of security.

Nay, they actually like to drive like it's a demolition derby out
:there because they'll surely be spared any injury.

See? They think they're immortal by virtue of sitting high in a large and
heavy vehicle.

Spared of any injury? Depends on the type of accident. Sedans have long
had properly designed and engineered crumple zones to take up impact
energy. SUVs often have a unit-body construction (I think that's what it's
called...or is it ladder? Not sure on terminology). In a hard enough
collision, most of the shock is tranferred to the passenger cabin.

:>I speak for California, and any other urban area: most attracted to SUVS
:>are the types that least need them,
:
:What are your sources for this implausible statement?

Oh, come now! You live here, you know the people I'm talking about. Vast
majority can do just as well or better with a wagon. The few who need the
capacity of the SUV are justified; for the others, it's merely whim.
Where do I come across this? Look out on the road. Talk to people across
the US. If you're refuting it, then I'd like to hear why. (yes, I know the
burden of proof is on me).

:> and can least handle them (on top
:>of yapping on the cellfone while driving,
:
:Of course, no one in a nimble Beemer ever uses a cell phone.  And even is
:they did, they'd be able to easily avoid any impending doom by simply
:zipping out of the way. (Acer-logic 101)

Please, now! THe fact that the typical driver of the SUV has it for the
false sense of security or other similar silly reasons this is only
exacerbated by the fact that they are often on cellfones, and are
incapable of maneuvering as quickly as a non-SUV should the situation
require it. DO you agree with that or no?

:>or reading, all of which I have
:>seen people do DAILY).
:
:And they're ALL in SUVs.

I see plenty of people in SUVs, reading, talking on the phone, turning and
attending to backseat, and on and one. Make up? Sure, that too.

:>SUVs by themselves are not bad, it's the attraction
:>they have for the incompetant drivers that is my peeve. I can go on, but I
:>won't for now.
:
:Now you pissed me off. You just called my wife and I incompetent drivers?
:Check this, bigot, in 13 years of driving an SUV only twice have our SUVs
:been hit.  Once it was parked, the other time stopped at a red light.

You're putting words in my mouth, now. DId I ever directly address you or
your wife? No. I'm sure you are part of the minority that actually need
the SUV's capacity for whatever reason. Understand this, I'm not at all
flaming you. Don't take thie personally right?
My complaint is with those who get the SUV for reasons that are false.
They think that because it's a 4x4, they're invicible. In the snowbelt,
it's most often the SUVs you'll find stuck, the SUVs you'll find out of
control. Just because they can get going doesn't mean they can handle any
better or stop any better. All that weight works against you.
Have I made myself perfectly clear that I am NOT flaming you?
THe rest of you who aren't as hot headed at the moment: do you see this as
a personal attack on George?

ANd should you care, I have been driving now for 3 years, 20000miles,
ticket free, accident free, and keeping it that way. A few defensive and
advanced driving courses/skills don't hurt.

:Oh and BTW, I hear that it's true that Southern California colleges attract
:only illogical morons and abusive wife killers. Is that true?

FLame-bait. You're not getting anything out of me. I would take this
offlist, but accuse me in public, and I will defend my self in public.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"Nothing left to win / And nothing else to lose."               --U2