Re: [OM] olympus contacts

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus contacts
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:05:27 -0400
Thanks to those who've replied about getting Zuiko lens data.

They most certainly do consider that data to be private, but I'm
hoping that they'll be willing to share at least a lens' worth in
the interest of scientific exploration.  :-)  I'll not be surprised
in the least if they want some sort of NDA, which I would happily
sign.

I've only tried contacting Oly America and got a very stock
answer, so I will see if Oly Japan works any better.

Of course, given more time, I'd just get a couple 50mm/1.8's and
reverse engineer them.  It wouldn't be very difficult, but I've
only got about a month left for this project.  The hardest part
would be finding the index of refraction, but since this would be
a destructive process anyway...

The other research project is digitally reverse engineering the
lens: can one determine the lens design by carefully analyzing
the resulting aberrations?  :-)  I think that is beyond the scope of
a semester's project.  It seems that it should be possible, at
least for bad lens designs (where aberrations are significant).

joey