[OM] 200/5

Subject: [OM] 200/5
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:41:38 -0800 (PST)
>Why does the 200/5 have a bad rap?

you answered your own question when you said:

>The 200/5 although "good" wasn't good enough.

folks, you can make excellent images with *any* lens as long as you don't
try to use them in configurations outside their range of good performance.
Better lenses have a wider range of f-stops where the image is good.

The slower a lens, the more it needs to be well corrected for wide-open
performance, since you don't get that many apertures to use.  And a slower
lens is easier to correct.  that's why I consider an f/5 lens that isn't
particularly good wide open to be unacceptable to me.  On the other hand
the 200/5 has useful apertures too and if you find the cost and weight
of the lens attractive for using it at these apertures, or you shoot
images at the wider apertures that don't require center to corner sharpness,
then by all means use the lens and enjoy it.

Joseph