Re: [OM] What's the best zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's the best zoom?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:36:38 -0600
>Subject: Re: [OM] What's the best zoom?

>>I missed that lens, and the Zuiko /4 wasn't it's equal.  Could have been
>>because the Zuiko wasn't in the best mechanical shape, but the Tokina was
>>definitely sharper & contrastier.
>>
>>Dave

I have the Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 that has been extremely good.  It was the
only lens I've ever purchased new and have rarely been disappointed with
it.  Disadvantages include size/weight (62mm filter size), wierd bokah
(definitely not a zuiko) and short zoom range (35-70).  Otherwise, it is a
very sharp lens and doesn't flinch at allowing me to make 20x24 prints with
it.  You can stop it down to F22 without too much diffraction, but F8-11 is
killer sharp.  Furthermore, the distortion is nearly perfect--better than a
Zuiko 50/1.4.

The AT-X does have a problem though, and it is the same problem as with the
35/shift:  You can't use  the camera on a Bogan hex plate unless you have a
winder/motordrive installed on the camera.  I also find the DOF preview
button nearly impossible to get to as it is in a deep recession next to the
aperature ring.

The lens really looks nice with a big fat lens shade (BFLS) installed and
helps the flare problems.  In fact, this is my medium-format killer wedding
setup:  OM-2S, Winder, Tokina ATX35-70/2.8, homemade flash bracket, Vivitar
flash.  This outfit is as big and heavy as any Hassy wedding outfit.  I
never run into problems with people questioning my equipment/format when I
use this setup.  It's the lenshade that does it.

Ken Norton