Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??

Subject: Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:54:18 EST
In a message dated 1/28/00 10:20:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< Dr. Greenburg, now retired,
 was my therapist. You may have heard of him >>

I have indeed known him for years. I was a wholesale rep to him for ten
years. While I do not personally ascribe to many of the "therapies" promoted
by the optometric community, muscular therapy in a sutuation such as yours
can indeed be beneficial.  I personally cannot imagine surgically limiting my
eyesight to monvision with Lasix, altho I do think with contacts it's a neat
trick for not having to wear a bifocal (particularly for those who have no
distance correction and thus have never had to wear an appliance on their
nose..for them the change can be excruciatingly traumatic!) But for htose
with peripheral concerns, it obviously will not be the answer.

We do not know why the peripheral is so important to some and not at all
important to others...for the majority, the brain will "tune out" the rims of
frames, glimmers from a metallic edge, and other intrusions. For a small
percentage, a thick frame or beveled lens edge can be very troublesome on a
constant basis (my brother is like that). Because progressive lens
alternatives necessarily produce somewhat of a "tunnel vision" (due to the
surface grind configuration) with "blurr zones" in the periphery), the
monivision alternative is not that different. It's not that the peripheral is
not there, it is just blurred in those instances. And with time, the majority
of brains will "tune" this out. But not in all cases.

Eyeballs are indeed a very subjective issue..and all I can recommend is
trying the different alternatives until you find HappyLand..but beware of
irreversible surguries!
Susan