Re: [OM] 6v source for T-10 modeling lights

Subject: Re: [OM] 6v source for T-10 modeling lights
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:27:39 +0100
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:12:43 EST, Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I have been playing with my T-10 flash for a few weeks (very pleased with
>results!)  I am getting a little sick of trying to focus on dark objects,
>especially when I'm wearing glasses and not contacts.  I don't have the the
>6v Power Pack 2 or AC Adapter 3 and haven't seen the latter for sale lately.
>Can I used any AC to 6v DC converter with the appropriate plug to get the
>modeling lights to work?  I was thinking about going to Radio Shack or just
>finding an AC to 6v DC power supply from a CD player or other portable
>electronic device.
>--p.j.

You won't even need DC: a transformer which converts mains voltage to
6 volt A.C. is OK. I guess 500-600 mA will be sufficient to power the
modeling lights properly, but you could buy 1 A to be on the safe
side.
But if you want to use it for powering other things too (winder?) then
you must buy a 6 volt 600 mA or 1000 mA DC converter, and check
polarity.

Be careful not to apply a voltage which is too high - since the little
lamps in the T-flashes are hard to replace. Their life will be
prolonged considerably when you apply 5-5.5 volts instead of 6....
Therefore 4 big NiCad or NiMH cells (e.g. D-cells with 4 Ah or more
capacity) may be a good alternative.

BTW, the 6v Power Pack 2, which takes 4 of these cells, contains no
electronics. So any housing for 4 D-cells will do equally well.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.