RE: [OM] modding 1-13 screen and QR plate w/ levels...

Subject: RE: [OM] modding 1-13 screen and QR plate w/ levels...
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:55:33 +0800
Dirk wrote:

> >I'm thinking, would putting a spirit level ("bubble" round one) or a
> >couple (x and y axis lengthwise) on one of the QR plates I have (3157
> >bogen) be doable or not?
>
> well, they make them to fit into a hot shoe, so why bother?

>From my experience the alignment of the hot-shoe/spirit level combination is
not accurate enough for architectural work - probably depends on your
particular Body+hot-shoe+level, so test this carefully before relying on it.

> That way I can level off the head, swap the OM on
> >there, and take a level picture. Or stick a lever on the head itself,
> >taking pains to ensure it is level in the first place?
> >

> There are also heads available that levels in them already.

Also not really accurate enough for architectural work, the manfrotto
(bogen) QR plates are only cast, not accurately machined and they usually
have rubber or cork pads between the plate and the body.  Even if the head
shows level the camera may not be.

> >And what about taking out the 1.13 screen and using a razor
> etch it off
> >two lines vertical, two horizontal, again to help aligning
> vertical/horizontal?
> >

> You can buy the proper screen with the lines already in it also.

Yeah, just buy a 1-10 screen unless you have a few 1-13s to experiment on.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharridge/