Re: [OM] OM4/ti and batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4/ti and batteries
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 23:54:02 +1000
Giles wrote abou the 4Ti's current drain

> Too high compared to what?  A 'modern' camera like a F5, F100, EOS 1 et
> al?

Too high compared with what people expect, which is that if they don't
use film it shouldn't draw current. They just think "I only got 6
rolls" and tell all their friends how bad the OM-4 is.

The cameras you mention have the sound and futility of motor drives
and AF, so people expect to feed them batteries, and most of
them use AA's. A more appropriate comparison would be with
a Nikon F3 or a Leica R5.

> But does it [Frank's calculator] take photos?

Someone implied that their OM-4Ti flattened without taking any
pictures either.

> Mine draws 7 microamps when asleep.  I personally do not consider 7
> millionths of an amp a 'lot of current'

Relative to the self-discharge of the button cells, it may be.

> I got just over a year out of my last set of batteries.

My OM-4, which draws 14 microamps, gets about 4 months
out of a set of Varta V76PX's if I take the batteries out
after every shooting session.

I would be happy with a year from a 4Ti or 3Ti *if I could
leave the batteries in*. I lack the patience to frig around
with coins and little hatches and always forgetting to put
the things back in. So - do you leave the batteries in for
that whole year?

> I do not consider that excessive.

Ooh, you haven't shot all day on mech 1/60 yet. A pleasure in store.

> You want high current draw, try my DAT walkman...

It seems corporate Japan has the same profligate attitude towards
batteries that it does towards rainforest timber and whales in
international refuges. Surely you wouldn't have bought the DATman
if you'd known it couldn't get through an album on one juicing.