[OM] Different List Servers, was List Outage (OT)

Subject: [OM] Different List Servers, was List Outage (OT)
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 11:55:12 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/00 9:12:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Foxy writes:

<< How do these people make money? The may put an add at the bottom on the
 > email, but who reads adds on the net? I don't. Nor anyone else I know. >>

These list groups do indeed make their income on advertising. For many, you
have to access your message thru a web site rather than receiving them
directly in your mailbox. And then they have constant banners appearing
across the messages, which I find very annoying. Other services, such as
Quiltropolis, give you the option of either paying for the service or
soliciting advertisers in order to "pay" for the list services.  I started a
list on Quiltropolis three years ago and our membership opts to pay $5 a year
apeice rather than bother with advertisers. This eliminates the random ad
messages that would normally appear.
As to who reads the banners, I fear you will "see" them whether you wish to
or not...and perhaps retain the names thru osmosis.
Susan

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA