[OM] Off to the Provinces

Subject: [OM] Off to the Provinces
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 10:18:12 -0500
Today I'm off to Provence for a week or so, and carrying all the OM gear I
could stuff into a LowePro Mini-Trekker (well,  I do have a 500mm Zuiko
packed in a suitcase).

I thought I knew exactly which lenses to take, until my wife comes home with
a book from the library called "Provence Memories", full  of photos by
Dennis Stock, published in 1988. Imagine my surprise  when I found in the
back a key  to the camera, lenses, and exposure information on each
picture,  and it was all taken with OM gear! He had quite a few pictures
taken with the 300/4.5 and 500/8, so I decided I needed to  beef up the long
end of the kit.

Dennis Stock (he was a Magnum photographer) has probably been mentioned on
this list before, but I don't remember him specifically. He talks about how
important sharp optics and reasonable size  were to his way of
photographing, and how pleased he had been with his OM  cameras, first the
OM-1 and on through  the OM-2, OM-3, and OM-4.

Check it out.  I was particularly surprised with his extensive  use of the
500/8, with its donut shaped out-of-focus highlights - who says its not good
for serious photography!

I'll have  to unsubscribe from the list while gone, to avoid overfilling the
mailbox, but I'll report back  on my success (or lack thereof!) when I
return.

Bon Jour!

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx