RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question

Subject: RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:15:20 +0000
I agree that there were undoubtedly several benefits from the cover.  Under
heavy wet snow from a blizzard though, I'm certain the roof would collapse
under snow before the deck ever came close to it.  I originally made
mention of rot prevention because it is the first thing mentioned by the
bridge historians in all the reading I did about them.  One of the side
notes by one historian cited their use for weddings, political rallies,
"town hall" meetings, and other very large gatherings as they were often
the largest covered structure around.  Many served more functions than just
as a bridge.

I'm wondering what you mean by "twin" bridges (side-by-side?).  There are
several in Indiana with triple spans, and a number of others with doubles.
The longest is a triple in Jackson County at 458 feet long (roughly 150
meters).  If you're ever in Indiana, Parke County along the Wabash River on
the western edge of the state has 32 of them . . . over a third of the 93
statewide . . . and our counties are small.  At one time (circa 1890-1920)
there were an estimated 400-500 of them in the state.  The number began
diminishing with the advent of iron truss bridges which is likely the type
of rickety thing Ken Norton drove over.  Those have a beauty of their own,
particularly (IMO) the arched truss type.  The transition to iron wasn't
immediate, but began with wood reinforced by iron in key portions of the
structure (iron plates and rods).  There are quite a few of the iron ones
around too.

-- John