Re: [OM] Re: Expodisc (was "In need of 2nd OM body")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Expodisc (was "In need of 2nd OM body")
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:33:03 +0000
At 14:24 7/11/00 , Joel Wilcox wrote:
>At 09:40 PM 7/10/2000 PDT, you wrote:
>>Should be expodisc, kiddo.  Comes in various sizes and, I think, is designed
>>to slip over the lens or lens hood, for quick use.
>>
>>http://www.expodisc.com
>
>It works more like a lens cap.  It fits inside the threads of the lens or
>filter but is not threaded itself.  You can literally use it as a lens cap.
>
>George Wallace is still active making these things and touting their
>virtues and uses.  He was a student of Minor White and I believe is a
>retired prof of photography.  I'm on his mailing list and get drafts of
>little treatises he writes on exposure measurement in theory and practice.
>It has become somewhat moot for me with the OM-2S and OM-4T in my arsenal.
>I do occasionally find uses for the Expodisc with my OM-1's however.
>
>Joel Wilcox
>Iowa City, Iowa USA

I may be stating the obvious, but I would be *very* careful using one of
these things outdoors, most especially on a telephoto.  If it were to fall
off while looking through the viewfinder directly at an unobscured sun you
could easily suffer the same fate as Galileo when he turned his new
invention toward the sun and peered through it.

-- John