Re: [OM] Om-2s received! (Looong!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s received! (Looong!)
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:10:05 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Simon E wrote:

> >The 2N can use linear polarizing filters but the 2S requires circular
> >polarizers,
>
> Only if you wish to use the TTL meter with the filter in place. For those of
> us who either meter with the filter off (to aid focussing - those 2 stops
> make it pretty dark in there) or use a hand meter the additional cost of a
> circ. polariser is irrelevant.

I haven't tried this myself, so it may not work, but it seems to me that
there are ways in which the TTL meter in a 2S(P)/4 with a linear
polarising filter.  "Misalignment" of the polarised light coming through
the filter with the half-silvered mirror can only fool the meter into
overexposure, but when there is no "misalignment", the reading will be
correct.... so, whilst spot-metering off an evenly illuminated bit of
subject, turn the filter to give the highest light reading.  Now leave
the filter there and meter from a bit of the subject that reflects
randomly polarised light.

If you need to meter from a part of the subject that is reflecting
polarised light, do the same thing, only turn the whole camera around
whilst metering, so that the polarised light looks the way you want -
then compose the shot properly and turn the filter to where you want it
to be.

That should work, shouldn't it?

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |