Re: [OM] Om-2s received! (Looong!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s received! (Looong!)
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:30:27 GMT
Ray Moth wrote:

<2S has Program mode

Its least attractive feature IMHO, and certainly one I wouldn't miss.

Some controls are smoother and more pleasant to operate on the 2N,

Agreed.

The 2N is economical on batteries, while the 2S is definitely NOT.

Mine's doing OK - nearly 6 months of frequent use on one set of 357s (thankyou Tim). Silver Oxide SR44s also give good battery life. I've given up removing the batteries in between shoots, as I have too often forgotten about it until I shoot the first frame or try the meter. Darn frustrating.

The 2N can use linear polarizing filters but the 2S requires circular polarizers,

Only if you wish to use the TTL meter with the filter in place. For those of us who either meter with the filter off (to aid focussing - those 2 stops make it pretty dark in there) or use a hand meter the additional cost of a circ. polariser is irrelevant.

I trust the OM2n plenty in normal day-to-day snapshooting, away from tricky lighting such as backlit portraits or those with lots of sky in the frame. For these I use the compensation dial with neg film. I meter off the subject or something similar, check how much the needle moves when I compose, then add the equivalent amount of compensation on the top of the camera. This works fine for street shots, candids, weddings etc. I still find my OM2n to be the most intuitive OM body - not too many spot/hi-lite/memory buttons to play with - and has a sound and feel I am more comfortable with. YMMV (it surely will).

Simon E.