Re: [OM] Need advice: 38/2.8 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice: 38/2.8 Macro
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 23:02:49 EDT
In a message dated 8/25/2000 8:06:01 PM, miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm an amatuer hobbiest interested in blowing things up: errr... making
closeups of bugs and flowers. I've progressed from screw-in closeup
diopters to generic ext. tubes to a dedicated OM 50/3.5 macro. I really
like the 50/3.5, BTW. >>

Mike, what has been your experience with use of the 50mm/f3.5 Zuiko macro
with the extension tubes? That combination works well. Did you try it and not
like the results? Or do you require more magnification?

<< Now I've got an opportunity to get either a 38/2.8 macro or possibly a
135/4.5 macro. >>

And your reason for considering purchase is 1:1 reproductions or greater?
In that case you will need something like the above lenses and to use either
you
must have either the Auto Bellows or the 65-116mm Telescopic Auto Extension
Tube. The 38/2.8 is faster than the 135/f4.5, an advantage negated by use of
faster film, and would have a wider angle of view. And according to the
Olympus
manual, it will yield a 1.7X magnification. The 135/f4.5 would allow you to
work
at a more comfortable distance from some of your intended subjects and yield
up to a 1.0X magnification. Don't know your potential source for the 35mm or
135mm macros, but they are usually rather expensive. New, bh.photo.com lists
the 35mm/f2.8 for $580 and the 135mm/f4.5 for $770. They list the Auto
Bellows for $280 and the necessary Double Cable Release for $35.

<< To recap: my interest is strictly non-specific and amatuer in nature; (ie:
no specific requirements,... yet). Money _is_ an issue. >>

If money is an object...and unless you need/want *extreme* magnification of
tiny objects, I would stick with the 50mm/f3.5 macro with *auto* extension
tubes. Unless you still have the generic extension tubes and chose to use
them, you can buy the Olympus extension tubes used or new. There are 7mm,
14mm, and 25mm tubes available. New at bhphoto.com all three would run you
about $210. The 65-116 Olympus Tele Auto Tube runs about $270. As you know,
you can use the extension tubes singularly or in combination to get the
effect
you desire. I have the Olympus auto bellows and the 50mm/f3.5 Zuiko macro.
I have *never* used the auto bellows in the field. It's too unhandy to pack
and
use. The 65-116 Tele Auto Tube would be sturdier and handier, but bulky in a
waist case. Extension tubes would be so much more convenient.

In short, unless you have some specific objective in mind I'd go for the
least
expensive (but quality) solution to the *present* problem and save up for the
other lens to purchase when/if photo requirements dictate it.

My US$0.02,

Robert