Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:19:02 GMT
Dan, when I read past threads on this topic I see no agreement or consensus.

The assertion that light rays behave, or must behave, differently for different media does not appear to be valid. Nikon and Canon found a way to incorporate digital backs onto otherwise conventional SLRs. Digital backs are available for MF and LF cameras, all using completely conventional lenses.

By definition a lens is a transparent medium designed to cause light rays to converge or diverge and form an image. If light passes "straight through" the transparent media without refraction it isn't a lens - it's a window.

OTOH, it has been shown that CCDs can capture legible images *without* a lens. These images demonstrate characteristics similar to those captured via pinhole cameras on film - inferior, tho' surprisingly good, resolution, etc. A lens is used to wring the best possible resolution from an image at a "normal" angle of view. More complex lenses are necessary to change the angle of view while maintaining the best possible resolution.

It's difficult to imagine that this will ever change. Any other method of capturing an image must involve, to some degree, interpolation. Few of us are willing to accept that as a satisfactory substitute.

Lex
===