Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus - no digital plans for OM series
From: "Kerry Frohling" <kfrohling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:05:44 PDT

George Conklin wrote:

He then went on to give a curious answer as to why not.  "The OM lenses do
not work for digital imaging."  He said that lenses focused images by the
rays crossing and the CD chip needed all the light beams to be coming in on
a straight axis because the pixel receptors were like a cup and the light
had to reach the bottom.  The present OM lenses land the images at an
angle.  I said, "Hunh???"  That was about all he was able to say.

The guy was fundementally correct. Most CCDs have microlenses which reject off-axis light. My guess is that by the time the light travels from the back to the lens to the back of an SLR body, the light is roughly perpendicular to the CCD. This may imply that the Olympus digital SLR has a reduced (by SLR standards) back focal distance so that this distance is shorter. In other words, the decision not to use OM lenses was probably made early in the design process.

Kerry Frohling
Fullerton, CA USA