Re: [OM] How many were there ?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many were there ?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:15:59 GMT
Counting variations, as Gary aptly defines it, can be an interesting if pointless exercise. For example, has anyone studied the fonts or measured the letters and numbers (in points) on lenses to detect any minor differences? Those of us who've worked with typography know that one Garamond can vary slightly from another.

How 'bout counting the rows of diamonds on the focus rings? Serrations on the aperture ring?

Really puts the "numb" in numbers.

Lex
===

From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:36:32 -0700

Wayne H. writes:

<< Can anyone refresh my memory as to how many versions there were of
the Zuiko
50mm f1.8 ? >>

Regarding any Zuiko: what constitutes a "version" versus a "variation?"
I consider version to be a change that has a performance difference and
perhaps ultimately a price difference. I consider variation to result in
an exercise that may have no end.