Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?

Subject: Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:42:27 EDT
<<So therefore the question: how
do you utilize the multi-spot capabilities of the OM3/4, when out
shooting? I know what it says in the manuals and know the workings of the
system (I can even use it - wow). What I am interrested in is the pratice
each of you have developed for using the metering system and concequently
adjusting the exposure accordingly.>>

I just pan over the scene and hit spots in all important areas of the photo,
trying to remember what spot goes where and also spot the highlights and
shadows. If everything is within 5 stops, the camera will average the spots and
a fine exposure results.

At this point, I can change the aperture, which will in turn change the shutter
speed (or vice versa) to favor shutter speed for moving objects or aperture for
depth of field.

If the range is greater than about 5 stops, then I try to remember the spot
reading for the main subject. With the exposure compensation dial, I vary the
compensation to place the main subject within some sweet spot of the film's
latitude. This type of approach is good for pre-visualizing a zone type of
system for either color or black and white. The spread of the spot readings
gives you the various exposures while the central spot gives you the actual
averaged exposure. With color you just have to put the range of the spots
within the desired area of the film's latitude. With black and white and 5 OM4T
bodies, you could do a great zone system :-)

Warren