[OM] [OT] - falling prices on ebay

Subject: [OM] [OT] - falling prices on ebay
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:38:08 GMT
Not to start a war over semantics, but I see nothing wrong with informing potentially ignorant (not stupid, but uninformed) bidders that something like a Nikon filter can fit other cameras just as well. I've done so in at least one item description and there was no intent to "spam" eBayers who were using the search engine. Let's not forget that for every educated photographer there are probably 100 or more people who know little about their gear other than the brand name.

Frankly, I believe it's up to the person using a search engine to refine his/her search terms. Web search engines are better than ever, yet there are still people who want others to do the work for them.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:17:46 -0500 (CDT)

...ebay allows the search index to be spammed by
people with hundreds of auctions for "84mm filter, fits Nikon,
Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus...." etc.
Putting -cameratraders in your search strings will usually
eliminate  about 300 auctions.