Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part IV, The Bracket Racket

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part IV, The Bracket Racket
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:46:46 +0000
At 23:44 11/6/00 , Giles wrote:

>You knew I meant the top surface of the flash shoe on the bracket
>didn't you?
>
>After all, It isn't like it was made by Olympus ;-)
>
>Giles
>
>Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
>> Place OM3Ti body in 4" engineer's vice. Tighten until a cracking noise is
>> heard and back off a quarter turn. Now, reaching for a half-round bastard
>> file..... Andrew
>> >Don't you have a file or a Dremel?  -  tsk tsk.

It's much faster using a rasp, and faster yet with a bench grinder.

Yes, but I also knew there had to be a better way that would also hold a
pair of them.  The mods I was going to have to make to the first bracket
were more than I wanted to get into at the time, and I needed to spend it
fabricating the flash bar.  I modified a flash shoe adapter last year to
fit the cold accessory shoe on the Contax IIIa.  It's got to be done
precisely.  Several strokes with a jeweler's file is the difference between
"doesn't fit" and too much slop.

Made a second version of the twin flash bar using more of the 1/8th
aluminum (aluminium) angle stock.  The heads are now right next to each
other.  Feels better balanced too.

If you do use an engineer's vise to hold an camera body, ensure it's one
with teeth in the jaws so it won't twist as you bear down on it with the
files, cold chisels, and ball peen hammer.  I discovered this the hard way
using one with smooth faces.  And yes, clamping any object properly in a
vise is similar to making properly toasted bread:  Keep in toaster until
burnt, then back up 30 seconds in time.

-- John